Carrot cake has always been my favorite cake. My dad used to bake it for my birthday and I got more excited about the cake than thinking about my presents.
He was the best carrot cake baker in the whole entire world for me and I am sure he would have loved this vegan version. It is so super close to his carrot cake recipe, it gave me goosebumps the first time I tried it.
With or without nuts?
A lot of carrot cake recipes have walnuts in them but I prefer to make it without walnuts because I eat so much cashews and almonds and nuts in general, that the cashew cream frosting for this one is enough for my taste.
You can feel free to add chopped walnuts or hazelnuts to it though, I am sure it tastes great too.
2¼ cups (256g) flour (I use half spelt, half all-purpose flour)
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
120ml cup almond milk
100ml olive or coconut oil
240g grated carrots
250g pre soaked, dried and rinsed cashews (soak for at least 3-4 hours)
70ml almond milk
70ml maple or agave syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 200 C. And grease baking dish
- Step 2 Add dry ingredients to one bowl and wet ingredients to another bowl. Mix both well and separately from each other
- Step 3 Now add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir well until lump free and smooth
- Step 4 Fold in carrots and stir just until combined
- Step 5 Bake 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Step 6 Meanwhile add all ingredients for the frosting to a blender and blend until smooth
- Step 7 You might need to add one or two more tablespoons almond milk to get your blade moving
- Step 8 When cake is ready, let cool for at least 40 minutes until topping with the cashew frosting