As much as I love my sweet porridge in the morning, a good hearty breakfast is very welcome from time to time. These carrot pancakes are the perfect vegan breakfast for people who need a break from something sweet or the ones who are into hearty breakfasts in general.
The flavor of chili, the sweetness of carrots, the cream cheese, walnuts and fresh herbs is so addictive, you will have to make this breakfast more than once a week.
Vegan Cream Cheese
I am not a huge soy fan as I already mentioned in some posts. Since almost everything is soy based when you buy something from the store, I pretty much tried to avoid all cream cheeses etc.
Fortunately I found a new brand a few weeks ago that makes vegan cream cheese based on almonds and it is the best cream cheese I had since being vegan. As I am a huge fan of anything homemade, I do not have enough time to completely avoid processed foods. Hopefully that changes at some point but until then I will love my almond cream cheese.
Carrot Pancakes with Walnut-Herb-Cream Cheese
- 150g all purpose flour
220ml unsweetened almond milk
2tbs olive oil
1/2 tbs chilli flakes
2 medium carrots, shredded
1tbs sea salt
pepper to taste
150g vegan cream cheese
bunch of parsley
bunch of chives
hand full walnuts, chopped
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 in a bowl mix together all ingredients except the carrots
- Step 2 let the batter sit for about 10min
- Step 3
meanwhile add all ingredients for the walnut-herb cream cheese in a bowl together and mix with a forge
- Step 4 when time is ready fold the carrots into the batter until combined
- Step 5 place a non stick frying pan with olive oil on a high heat
- Step 6 add the batter an allow it to cook for about 2min until the pancake is set around the edges and starting to brown
- Step 7 flip the pancake and cook on the other site for 2min
- Step 8 take off the stove and top the pancake with walnut-herb cream-cheese, enjoy