Pestos are made for busy bees like me and I don’t only enjoy them with pasta, I also pour them over roasted veggies or use pesto as a spread on my sourdough bread.
Sine we are not the biggest raw garlic fans, I try to only use small amounts of it in recipes and never more than one clove.
What makes garlic less stinky and more sweet is roasting it. Sometimes I cover some garlic cloves with olive oil and put it in the oven until it is soft and slightly golden. It tastes so much better in my opinion!
What is so cool about this Easy Basil & Cashew Pesto is, that you get to use the cashews as parmesan and nutty base too. If you didn’t know that, vegans use cashew parmesan as a parmesan replacement (recipe for the cashew parmesan can be found here).
But instead of using pine nuts or mix two nuts together, this recipe only needs cashews.
Easy Basil & Cashew Pesto
- 500g penne or pasta of your choice + water to cook
- 150g cashews
- 60g fresh basil
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ a lemon juice
- 150 ml good quality olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1Cook penne after instructions, meanwhile making the pesto.
- Step 2Throw all ingredients for the pesto into the food processor and blend until pesto consistency appeals. You don’t want to overblend it and still want to chew on some small nut pieces.
- Step 3Serve with noodles and enjoy.