I think risotto has always been one of my favorite meals. At the restaurant it was either pizza or risotto for me.
When I started my vegan journey it was pretty clear to me, that I had to come up with a great vegan version, that is still fun to eat.
You cannot really replace the parmesan even though I love cashew parmesan but what you sure can do is replace the cream with almond cream and hey, wine has always been vegan thankfully 🙂
hope you enjoy this comforting risotto just as much as I do.
Risotto mit Pilzen und Cashew Creme
- 375g risotto rice
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 20g vegan butter
- 150g cashews + water to cover
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 200ml white wine
- 170ml water
- 350g button mushrooms, sliced
- olive oil or vegan butter
bunch of parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- Step 1 Cover cashews with water and let them soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Meanwhile mince garlic, chop onion & parley and slice mushrooms into pieces.
- Step 3 In a pot melt butter, add garlic, onions and risotto rice and fry until translucent. Make sure you stir through and nothing gets burned.
- Step 4 Add wine and start pouring in a little bit of vegetable stock, soon as the wine has been absorbed. Lower heat to simmer and always wait for the rice to absorb the veggie stock until you pour in the next load.
- Step 5 Once the vegetable stock is completly absorbed, take pot off the stove and put lid on so it stays warm.
- Step 6 In a pan fry mushrooms until golden brown and take out the pan before water breaks out.
- Step 7 Add mushrooms to the risotto.
- Step 8
Drain and rinse cashews and add them with the 170ml water to a high speed blender.
Blend until smooth and creamy for at least 2 minutes and pour over each plate of risotto.
- Step 9
Top with parsley or / and chili flakes in case you like it a little more hot.