If I had to pick my favorite pasta sauce, it would be Arrabiata sauce. Tomatoes, chili, fresh herbs, garlic, perfect!!! I love giving simple or traditional recipes a twist. This time I decided to pimp up my penne with a refreshing mint-avocado sauce. It gives the dish a lot more flavor, freshness and makes it a little more interesting.
I think it is super funny, that most of the people eat vegan meals and don’t even notice it. You don’t need to use substitute or crazy creative recipes all the time, you can eat some good pasta, with high quality ingredients and be happily satisfied.
The avocado-mint dressing gives the pasta the perfectly fresh touch! Hope you enjoy it 🙂
Penne al' Arrabiata with a Twist
- 350g penne, egg free
- 200g crushed tomatoes (canned of jar)
- juice of one orange
- 100ml noodle water (the water you previously cooked your noodles in)
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup or agave
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- For the Avocado-Mint Dressing
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 30g fresh mint
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp maple or agave
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1Cook pasta, meanwhile make the sauces.
- Step 2In a frying pan, heat up olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and finely chopped chili to the oil and stir through for a few seconds.
- Step 3Now add in all other ingredients for the sauce and cook on simmer for 15-17 minutes.
- Step 4For the avo-mint dressing blend all ingredients together in a food processor until creamy and smooth.
- Step 5Mix penne together with the Arrabiata sauce in the frying pan and serve with dressing.