If you love it simple, hot, and flavorful, this is the perfect meal for you. The original Italian recipe „Penne al Arabiata“ is made with lots of sweet and fresh tomatoes, chili and parsley. The only difference in my recipe is that I used basil and a bit of orange juice which made it more juicy and fresh.
If you want to make a kid friendly version of it, you should cut out the chili and it will still taste great.
What I love about the Italian cuisine so much is, that they don’t use much spices and keep things very basic and simple, which I personally appreciate. As much as I love to play around with spices, simplicity as it’s best can be just as amazing.
Penne almost Arabiata
- 350g penne
- 500g ripe,cherry roma tomatoes
- half a red chili, fresh
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 Tbsp noodle water (the water you cook your penne with)
- juice of half an orange or 4-5 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- bunch of fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 While cooking penne after instructions.
- Step 2 Wash tomatoes, peel garlic, mince chili and heat up olive oil on medium high heat in a frying pan.
- Step 3 Once olive oil has heated up, press garlic through garlic press into the pan and add the chili.
- Step 4 After a about a minute add tomatoes and fry for 5-7 minutes, then pour in noodle water from the penne.
- Step 5 Once the tomatoes start to break, take a wooden spoon or fork to press them down and get some more juice out of them.
- Step 6 Now pour in orange juice and add tomato paste. Mix all well together with a wooden spoon and cook on simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Step 7 Season with salt and pepper and top with basil.