Fridays are for pizzas and in my case a lot of days are Fridays. I have struggled with pizzas since I turned vegan because I could not enjoy pizza without cheese. It felt so weird and the ones I have tried didn’t even taste good at all.
I took quite a long break until I had a bad craving coming through and decided to just put all of my favorite ingredients on it so it had to taste good!
The good thing about this recipe is, you have time to prepare all those thousand toppings while the dough rises or the pizza is in the oven. Which makes it less stressful.
Pizza Mid Eastern Style
- For the dough:
400g all purpose flour
250 ml lukewarm water
3 tbsp olive oil
½ a pack active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
½ cup tomato sauce
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus:
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 red bell peppers, cut into halves
120 ml olive oil
1 tsp ground coriander
100 ml water
salt and pepper
1 tsp paprika
3-4 hands full parsley, washed and chopped
50g bulgur, covered with hot water until all soaked in
4-5 medium cherry tomatoes
juice of one lemon
1 clove garlic, pressed through garlic press
1 small red onion, chopped into small pieces
1 tsp olive oil
Spicy Chickpeas & Eggplants
1 eggplant, cut into circles
½ a can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp harissa
1 tsp chili flakes
salt and pepper
- Step 1Put all ingredients for the dough into the food processor and use knead function or knead with hands in a large bowl.
- Step 2
Let dough rise in a kitchen towel covered bowl for about 35-40 min.
- Step 3
Preheat oven to 200C, brush red bell peppers with olive oil and place them on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
Bake until the edges get dark and the peppers are soft.
- Step 4 Add roasted red bell peppers and all other ingredients for the hummus to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Step 5 After the dough has doubled it size , cut dough into two halves and shape two balls. Roll out each ball on a flour sprinkled kitchen surface and give it the shape you like. Carefully put the pizza on the parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Step 6 Preheat oven to 250 Celsius. Pour tomato sauce over the pizza and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Step 7 Meanwhile put eggplant and chickpeas into a bowl and mix with olive oil and spices. Fry in a frying pan until crispy. Set aside.
- Step 8 For the tabouleh cut tomatoes into small pieces, peel and remove middle part of the cucumber with a spoon and cut it into small pieces as well. Chop red onion.
- Step 9 Add all to a bowl with remaining tabouleh ingredients and mix well together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 10 For the tahini drizzle put together two tbsp tahini, 2 tbsp olive oil, 4-5 tbsp water, salt and pepper. Stir well until lump free.
- Step 11 Once the pizza is crispy and the crust golden brown, put hummus, eggplants, chickpeas and tabouleh on it and on top the tahini drizzle.