The texture of this recipe will blow you away. It is so close to the original, even the taste of it! There are some dishes, that taste the best after warming them up a second time and that is definitely one of them.
A real flavorful and good bolognese sauce takes at least 2-3 hours of cooking. It is all about the flavors when it comes to the Italian folks 🙂
You could also use this sauce for your lasagna by the way or eat it with rice and a salad. I have tried it all and I love it all.
The tempeh can be found at almost any organic store but I usually call those up to make sure I dont travel all the way for nothing 🙂 !
This dish is also perfect to serve with vegan cashew parmesan.
Vegan Bolognese Sauce
- 2 large carrots, cut into small pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 350g tempeh
- 100g walnuts, pre soaked in water for an hour
- 300g crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp liquid sweetener
- 500ml veggie stock
- hand full fresh oregano, chopped
- hand full fresh basil. chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Step 1 After chopping up all veggies and garlic, add tempeh and walnuts to a foodprocessor and blend it for a few seconds until crumbly.
- Step 2 In a big pot bring olive oil to a heat and add carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Fry for a few minutes while stiring through with a wooden spoon to make sure nothing gets burned.
- Step 3 Once the onions are translucent, add tomato paste, liquid sweetener and the walnut-tempeh mixture. Mixing everything well.
- Step 4 Give it 1-2 minutes and pour in the veggie stock and crushed tomatoes + herbs. Cook on simmer for at least 30 min.
- Step 5 The longer you cook it, the more flavorful it will be. I usually cook it 2 hours on simmer and stir through every now and then.
- Step 6 Serve with pasta and cashew parmesan.