Another very comforting dish I created for those wet and cold days outside. As you know me, cashew cream is magical to me and used in so many of my recipes just simply because it is neutral, thickens anything well and can be used for almost everything.
Vegan Butter Chickpea Stew
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 can crushed tomatoes ( I used Polpa tomatoes)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 100g cashews, presoaked for 30 min in hot water
- 150ml water
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 60g vegan butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 50g almond flakes
- Served with quinoa or rice & parsley.
- Step 1 In a pot let butter melt, add spices, garlic and chickpeas. Fry for a few minutes and stir through a few times.
- Step 2 Now add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and vegetable stock to the pot and lower heat to simmer.
- Step 3 Meanwhile make the cashew cream by simply rinsing and draining the cashews, adding them with the 150ml water to the high speed blender and blend until thick and creamy.
- Step 4 Once the cream is ready, pour it into the soup, stir well and cook on simmer for another 10-12 minutes. You should stir every other minute to make sure nothing gets burned.
- Step 5 Season with salt and pepper and serve with quinoa or rice and parsley.
- Step 6 heat a pan on high heat without any oil and add almond flakes. Toast until slightly golden
- Step 7 top stew with almond flakes
- Step 8 *if you like it spicy, you can top with a bit of chili flakes.