I personally think that a good Bolognese is part of every family or even single household.
It is easy to make, tastes super delicious and if you are using lots of fresh ingredients, it can also be healthy.
My mission was to not use any meat replacements and to make this Bolognese a quick, weekly dinner option. I think I did a not so bad job on that actually 🙂
The original recipe calls for carrots and celery and I love chopping those up when I have more time because it gives it a lot of lovely flavors but this vegan lentil Bolognese is more about a fast alternative.
Vegan Lentil Bolognese
- 500g spaghetti
- 150g green lentils + 500ml water
- 500ml passata tomatoes
- 2 small onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 120ml water
- 50ml red wine
- hand full fresh basil
- hand full fresh oregano
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10-12 ripe cherry tomatoes
- vegan parmesan (optional)
- Step 1In a medium sauce pan bring lentils and water to a boil and let cook for 20 minutes. Meanwhile cook noodles and prepare sauce.
- Step 2For the sauce dice onions and mince garlic. Wash tomatoes and chop up herbs.
- Step 3In a pot heat up olive oil on medium high heat and saute onions until translucent. Then add garlic and saute another few seconds.
- Step 4Now turn up heat to high heat and add red wine. Let it cook on high for 2-3 minutes and then add cherry tomatoes, passata tomatoes and water.
- Step 5Let all cook on simmer until lentils are ready and pour of their water before adding them to the sauce.
- Step 6Now add chopped herbs and let the flavors come together for a few minutes, cooking on simmer.
- Step 7Pour sauce over spaghetti and add top with cashew parmesan and fresh basil if desired.