This recipe you guys, is some serious stuff. I could eat it weekly! When I was just writing the recipe down, I realized how many steps it takes to make these but when you are doing it, it really doesn’t feel that much.
I used a zucchini and carrot as veggies but I know there are recipes out there that use cauliflower or even peas in there too, so it is really up to you. It should make one cup of veggies.
Vegan Malai Kofta with Green Yoghurt Sauce
- 3 medium size potatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 100g cashews
- 4-5 Tbsp rice flour or chickpeas flour
- thumb size piece of ginger
- 100g tempeh
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- oil to deep fry
- Sauce :
- 200g plant yoghurt (coconut or soy)
- 30g parsley, flat leaf
- 1tbsp olive oil
- hand full of mint
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp liquid sweetener (I use rice syrup)
- Step 1 Cook potatoes with peel until soft and let them cool down completely.
- Step 2 Great zucchini, ginger and carrot. Use a 2-3 paper towels to squeeze out the water from the veggies.
- Step 3 In a food processor blend up cashews and tempeh together for a few seconds until crumbly.
- Step 4 Take a small sauce pan and heat up a bit of olive oil, then add, minced garlic and diced onions and fry until translucent. Now add in ginger, veggies and spices.
- Step 5 Fry for 2-3 minutes and add the veggie mixture and tempeh-cashew mixture to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Step 6 Mash everything together with a potato masher or fork, season with salt and use hands to make 12-13 balls.
- Step 7 On a deep plate/dish, add the flour and roll balls into flour until they are evenly covered.
- Step 8 Add coconut or other oil for deep frying to a deep frying pan or wok and let it heat up. Add a few balls and let them fry until golden brown from each side (means you have to flip them around and should stand next to pan).
- Step 9 For the sauce you throw all ingredients into a highspeed blender and blend until smooth.
- Step 10 Serve balls with sauce and/or rice, potatoes etc.